Wednesday, 8 December 2010

Getting my mobile broadband activated

Some months ago I closed my contract-mobile broadband account, got wireless put on at home and had my mobile modem unlocked so that I could get a pre-paid sim for when I’m not at home... sounds simple, yes?

Grrr

No

For some reason I am just dumb when it comes to activating pre-paid sims.

I got this one last August, and off-and-on since then I’ve tried to get it going. Today I realised that the dog show is on in a few days and I will need to have it available. So today at lunchtime I gave up and I’ve called 3 to get it activated. It has now been over half an hour and I have been asked if I want to receive promotional emails, my home address (they gave me my old address), my phone number (quoted my daughters), my employer, my working hours, my supervisor – and I have hit the roof. They already have my details – my mobile is under contract with them, and I only got it in April or May this year – I JUST WANT TO ACTIVATE THE SIM.

Now I’m on hold. My lunchtime has come and gone, and I am livid.

I can manipulate data, I can audit all sorts of things, I can write databases but ... I CAN’T ACTIVATE A SIM CARD. Seething.

NOW they’re telling me that the sim card is ‘invalid’ – I’m livid.

I have been with this carrier for about 12 years, and they are really, really, pissing me off...

Nearly an hour ... ok, 49 minutes, later they have done what I wanted in the first place. It is now working.

What I wanted to do was put this blog entry up at lunch time because reflection is good for building resilience, and I ran out of time to do it at home this morning.

I think I may have displayed displaced anger – I’m angry with work, so I took it out on them?? No, I don’t think so. I think I was pissed off with them. It was placed anger.

No comments: