Thursday, 7 September 2006

Just when I thought things couldn’t get any worse, they did.

On the way home last night the car broke down. I thought it was just that it was out of petrol, but, apparently not. There is a cracked something or other, and last night the car was towed home; later an RACV chap came to try to get it going. He failed. So today the car is getting towed to Frank’s. I would have liked to use an independent mechanic (ie, someone my husband is not related to), but I have no money, so I’m out of choices. On the up side, I’m using Phillip’s car (thanking the Lord that we got it back after it was stolen), and the RACV have offered me either taxis (three of) or a hire car for 24hrs. I’ll wait to see how long it’ll be out of action before I decide what to do. The hire car would be good. I think what I’d like would be a taxi to a car hire place, then the car, then a taxi home and another taxi to pick up the car (whenever that is), but we’ll see. If I’m really lucky Frank’ll get it back on the road tonight, and I’ll only need one taxi, and then have my car back.

I spoke to Sean last night, and the newbies are saying really nice things like “Why did they let Diane leave?” I like the way they are thinking! I should be doing RDDT training soon, but I haven’t heard from anyone, and I really need the money. Not sure where to go with that. I don’t want to ring, but I really want to know when/if I’ll still get the work.

I would also like to hear from the new CEO. I felt really positive at the Audit day when I talked to her. I was confident that she would ask me to come back. But now she has been there for nearly two weeks and I haven’t heard from her yet.

Today I am still very tired. By the time I finished with the RACV last night, then had dinner it was suddenly time to pick Phillip up from work (in his car), and it was 9.30 by the time I was finally home. I was almost too tired to actually make the effort to go to bed. I am so drained. I am typing this with my eyes closed, ‘cos I’m so tired that the eyes can’t stay open. My typing’s pretty good, eh? I had endless trouble getting out of bed this morning – I lay there, just exhausted, for nearly an hour before I actually got up. Then, of course, I didn’t’ have time to look after the dogs, have breakfast, or stack the dishwasher. I’ll pay for that this evening.

Yesterday Mum & Dad got a statement from the Insurance brokers, and unfortunately it included the lapsed house insurance. Soi they are pressuring me to pay it – nearly $1000. True Tony should pay half, but if you combine that with the car, it is just way too much. Especially when neither kid is paying their board properly at the moment ‘cos they are stressed with various things, too.

I’ve got no money, didn’t get up in time to bring food other than a couple of apples, and I have been getting terribly hungry in the afternoons. I’d just like to record my thanks to the Creator for Adrienne’s birthday today – she brought in a really good food-ish type carrot cake. Nice one.

So what is next? I guess I’d better get on with my actual, paying, work… I’m doing it, I really am, it’s just that I am so tired, and the work is so very dry that I am struggling to stay awake. Olivia hasn’t’ answered the email I sent to her yesterday. My Dad called before – I didn’t pick up – they probably want to know what I’m doing about the insurance. I am going to get the extra credit from the supplier….

I’ve spent a large chunk of the afternoon on a tangential bit of my work – far more creative, and using a database – making queries and reports and stuff. I think I’ve done more work this afternoon than I have for days… My phone is running flat: I didn’t put it on the charger last night, I was too lethargic to bother, so now I’m going to have a problem. I need to call the Insurance Brokers, and I wanted to slope off to one of the visitors rooms to do it, but I needed my phone, and I think it will almost certainly die mid-conversation. And it won’t be a quick one.

No comments: